The W.H. Stark House Launches New Web Site
The site’s virtual tour feature takes visitors on a room-by-room photo tour with detailed descriptions of the items shown in each photo. It also includes photos of areas not seen by visitors touring The W.H. Stark House in person.
Another highlight is the photo gallery of the Stark House collection, which is comprised of decorative works and artistic pieces acquired by William Henry and Miriam Melissa Lutcher Stark, the original owners and occupants of the home. Featured collection items include the rare Napoleon death mask, the Hupmobile Roadster, the one-of-a-kind Gorham tea/coffee service, and more. Additional collection items are added to the site regularly.
The rich history of The W.H. Stark House is also detailed on the site, with information about its construction in 1894, its 10-year restoration from 1970-1981, its listing in the National Register of Historic Places, its designation as a recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and its repair and renovation after Hurricane Rita in 2005. Biographies of William Henry Stark, Miriam Melissa Lutcher Stark, and H.J. Lutcher Stark are also included on the site.
Those wishing to visit the historic house museum in Orange can find information about tours, hours of operation, and admission online. They will also find a calendar feature highlighting events throughout the year, including the Stark House Lecture Series, Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations, and the annual Christmas Open House.
The website can be viewed at www.whstarkhouse.org. For more information, please contact The W.H. Stark House office at 409.883.0871.
About The W.H. Stark House
The W.H. Stark House is a Victorian landmark in Orange, Texas, which has been restored to its original splendor.
The 14,000 square-foot home was completed in 1894 in Orange, Texas by William Henry Stark and his wife, Miriam M. Lutcher Stark, prominent philanthropists who occupied the home until 1936. Designed in the Queen Anne architectural style, the house features a distinctive turret, stained glass windows, and ornate woodwork in cypress and long leaf yellow pine.
Today, the three-story structure stands much as it did at the turn of the 20th century, with fifteen rooms of original family furnishings, personal effects and decorative arts, including antique rugs, original textiles, silver, cut glass and antique porcelain. Also featured are the Stark family’s impressive collections of American Brilliant Period cut glass, pressed and pattern glass, milk glass, porcelains, and other 18th and 19th century decorative accessories. The interior of both The W.H. Stark House and its adjacent Carriage House depicts the home life of the Starks in the early 1900s and provides an extraordinary statement of Texas’ social history.
The W.H. Stark House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a Record Texas Historic Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission. It is operated as a program of the Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation, a private foundation established in 1961 by H.J. Lutcher Stark, the only surviving child of Miriam M. and W.H. Stark.