OCP holds auditions, seeks submissions
The Orange Community Players will host auditions for the satirical comedy, “Urinetown:the Musical” March 15-16 at 7 p.m. at the Orange Community Playhouse, 708 W. Division Ave. Those interested in auditioning should prepare, memorize and perform a musical solo and bring their own recorded accompaniment. There will be readings from the script. The production will be directed by Kevin Doss. The show will be performed in early May, dates to be announced. The play is described as “an earnest fable of love, greed and revolution set in a town plagued by drought. A simple enough plot, complete with villain, hero and romance: a malevolent corporation controls the town’s public amenities; the president’s daughter falls in love with the leader of a rebellion.” Drawing from “West Side Story” and “Les Miserables” among others, the show spoofs the great American musical. Winner of three Tony Awards, 3 Outer Critic’s Circle Awards, two Lucille Lortel Awards and two Obie Awards.
OCP accepting submissions
The Orange Community Players group is accepting submissions from directors for plays in the upcoming season. All submissions are due by March 26. Plays should appeal to a wide audience.
There are two ways to submit plays:
1. Send a query letter with a brief (one page or less) description of the play, a biography and excerpt from the script (maximum 10 pages). Send to Orange Community Players Inc., ATTN: Kevin Doss, Plays and Directors chairperson; P.O. Box 442, Orange 77631.
2. However, OCP strongly prefer electronic queries. You may send a query via e-mail by attaching the description, bio and excerpt to an e-mail as Word documents. All length restrictions still apply. Send to Kevin.Doss@lsco.edu.
OCP presents four mainstage shows per season. These shows historically have consisted of a large cast late summer musical, a spring musical and two non-musicals, in the fall and early in the year. If we wish to have more information, or we chose your submission, you will hear from us before the first of May 2010.
Some tips for submitting a play:
* Do take at least two or three paragraphs with the synopsis of the play. It is not required to submit a detailed breakdown of plot by act and by scene. Just make sure to hit the general themes and major plot points. Do not give a one-or two sentence statement with a few buzzwords.
* Do include a character breakdown and be specific about how many actors the play requires, especially if it is not clear from the cast list.
* Do include an estimated budget. Questions about this may be directed to Kevin Doss.
* Do not submit a roster of 10-20 plays. Take the time to consider your choice and select one and no more than three plays to inquire about at a time.
* Do not submit a full script without first submitting a query.
* Do not query by phone. Please query by e-mail or regular mail (see above).
* Do not call or e-mail to check on the progress of your query once you have submitted it. Do, however, feel free to let us know of any changes, additions or deletions of your query.