Strawberry Short Cut Cake
Strawberries are in and are at a low price, so get them, cook um or eat fresh. They are good anyway and aren’t on sale very often. I was looking for a low sugar cake and found this so the sugarless cake went astray for another week.
• 1 cup miniature marshmallows
• 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed.*
• 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
• 2 1/4 cups flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 eggs
* You can make your own, wash fresh strawberries, slice, mix with 1/2 cup of sugar and set aside so it can make syrup.
Generously grease bottom only of 13×9 cake pan. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over bottom of pan. Thoroughly combine thawed strawberries and syrup with dry gelatin; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Blend on slow speed until moistened. Beat three minutes at medium speed. Pour batter evenly over marshmallows and spoon strawberry mixture evenly over the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in batter. Serve warm or cool with ice cream.
Gooder’n Syrup. Von