The Orange Community Players Inc. was honored at the Southeast Texas Arts Council (SETAC) annual Hearts for the Arts event held Sunday. Named Organization of the Year, the group was presented with a ceramic heart that was sculpted by a local artist. The award was accepted by charter member, Jeff Hattman and Jean Hamerly.

They started out as the Town Theater in 1950. The name changed in 1957 to Orange Community Players Inc.

Their current location on Division Avenue was provided by Edgar Brown Jr. in 1960. The first production in their new theater was “Bus Stop.”

According to Hattman, before they had the playhouse, “We used to do shows everywhere they’d let us do one. We’d go to schools, you know, and one time we had something in the courthouse.”

In May, OCP will present “Hair Spray,”  directed by Brook Doss. Last year Doss was honored at Hearts for the Arts as Educator of the Year.

About Penny LeLeux

Penny has worked at The Record Newspapers since 2006. A member of the editorial staff, she has "done everything but print it." Most frequently she writes entertainment reviews and human interest stories, with a little paranormal thrown in from time to time.She has been a lifelong member of the Orangefield community.