Orange County man dies in late night house fire
An Orange County man died in a house fire late Tuesday evening. Firefighters responded to the call at about 11:30 pm.
According to Chief Bryant Champagne, the fire inside the trailer appears to be accidental, and was caused by a propane heater that was being used in the house.
Once the flames had been extinguished, the body of the homeowner was discovered. The man was identified as 49 year old Howard Asa Baker, of Orange.
County Justice of the Peace Janice Menard responded and pronounced the victim deceased at the scene. The victim was transported to the Jefferson County Morgue where an autopsy will be performed.
The investigation was conducted by Arson Investigators with the Orange County Emergency Services District #1 and was assisted by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division and the Texas State Fire Marshalls Office.