Cooking with Katherine: Root Beer Bundt Cake
To me there is nothing like going to DQ (Dairy Queen) and getting a cold root beer float in the heat of the summer. How about when you are eating certain things like Barbecue? Can you tell I really do like root beer? So how about a Root beer cake? I thought you might like this recipe also. Hopefully you are a root beer fan, too. Well here goes, let me know how you like it. Happy eating!
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 ½ cups of root beer
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup of granulated sugar
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
3 large eggs, beaten
2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan, tap out the excess flour.
2. Heat 2 cups root beer, the cocoa powder, chocolate and 1 stick butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the granulated and brown sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
3. Combine 2 cups flour, the baking soda, allspice and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk the eggs into the root beer mixture, then gently fold in the dry ingredients (the batter will be slightly lumpy).
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 55 minutes to 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through. Transfer to a rack. Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour ¼ cup root beer over the cake; let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk the remaining ¼ cup root beer, a pinch of salt, the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.
Have a special recipe your family enjoys E-mail to Lookwhoscookingnowclasses@yahoo.com
Look Who’s Cooking Now