Natural Resource Scholarships available
The Texas Wildlife Association Foundation (TWAF) and the San Antonio Livestock Exposition, Inc. (SALE) have joined forces to offer five $10,000 Natural Resource-Excellence in Education Scholarships in the fall of 2011. The scholarships will be awarded to five freshmen at Texas universities who are majoring in natural resource related field such as agricultural science, wildlife science, forestry, range science, or similar majors.
Completed applications must be postmarked by Sept. 30, and are available at www.texas-wildlife.org.
“As our population has grown, the strain on our natural resources has grown proportionately,” said TWAF Trustee Charles Davidson. “Our future depends on our ability to manage our natural resources wisely, balancing the needs of man and nature. It just makes sense to identify our future leaders and support them while they are getting their educations. We all will benefit from their expertise in the years to come.”
This is the sixth time that TWAF and SALE have teamed up to offer scholarships to future natural resource professionals. To date, $210,000 in scholarships have been awarded through this partnership.
To be eligible for the scholarship, a student must be:
• A Texas resident;
• A graduate of a Texas high school;
• Enrolled in a Texas accredited college or university with a natural resource/agricultural degree program;
• Classified as a “Freshman” or in first year after high school in the accredited program;
• Majoring in a natural resource related field such as agricultural science, wildlife science, forestry, range science, etc.;
• A citizen of the United States and provide a valid social security number if chosen
Students must also maintain 12 hours per semester and a minimum 2.0 GPA per semester and 2.5 cumulative GPA.
Scholarships are awarded based on overall quality and on essay responses to a series of natural resource questions.