LIT’s Workforce Department offers variety of classes
The Workforce Training & Continuing Education Department at Lamar Institute of Technology will offer the following courses beginning in the month of September:
● EKG Technician. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 11 through Dec. 4, 6-9 p.m. In this course, students will learn to perform electrocardiograms, which measure and record heart activity. Cost is $550.
● Clinical Medical Assistant. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 11, 2012, through March 7, 2013, 6-9 p.m. Students will train to help physicians carry out procedures, care for patients, perform basic lab tests and administer medications. The class combines 134 hours of classroom instruction and 160 hours of an off-site externship. Cost is $1,450.
● Pharmacy Technician. Mondays and Wednesdays, Sept. 10 through Dec. 12, 6-9 p.m. Students will learn how to help the pharmacist package or mix prescriptions, maintain client records, refer clients to the pharmacist for counseling, assist with inventory control and purchasing, as well as coordinate billing. Cost is $799.
● HeartSaver CPR AED Training. Tuesday, Sept. 18, 1-5 p.m. This course teaches adult CPR and AED use, as well as how to relieve choking in an adult. This class is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED use to meet job, regulatory or other requirements. Cost is $35.
● Healthcare Provider CPR Training. Tuesday, Sept. 25, 1-5 p.m. This course teaches adult, child and infant CPR and AED use. The class is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED to meet job, regulatory or other requirements. Cost is $35.
● Medication Aide Update. Friday, Sept. 14, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. This program is mandated by the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242, Subchapter N, concerning the administration of medications to facility residents, and the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 142, Subchapter B, concerning the administration of medication by a home and community support services agency. Cost is $60.
● Basic Computer, E-mail and Internet. Saturday, Sept., 8, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. This course is designed as an overview of computer basics, E-mail and Internet research. Cost is $75.
● Microsoft Word. Saturday, Sept. 15, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Introduction to Microsoft Word terminology, editing functions, formatting and special text options. Cost is $75.
● Microsoft Excel 2010. Saturday, Sept. 22, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. An introductory Microsoft Excel class. Cost is $75.
● Microsoft PowerPoint 2010. Saturday, Sept. 29. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Introduction to computerized presentation graphics using Microsoft PowerPoint. Cost is $75.
● Microsoft Access 2010. Saturday, Sept. 22, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. An introduction to database concepts using Microsoft Access. Cost is $75.
● AutoCAD Basic 2011 Version. Saturdays, Sept. 8-29, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Introduction to AutoCAD 2011 software. Cost is $400 with a $40 textbook required.
● Forklift Training. Saturday, Sept. 8, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Students will learn how to safety operate Yale (4900-lb. capacity), Daewoo (4450-lb. capacity) and Sky Trak forklifts. Cost is $200.
● Aerial Lift Training. Saturday, Sept. 22, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Students will learn how to safely operate a 40-foot Straight In-Line Boom lift. Cost is $200.
● Ten-Hour Construction Industry Course. Saturdays, Sept. 22 and 29, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. This course is for anyone involved in construction operations. Cost is $89.
● English as a Second Language. Mondays and Wednesdays, Sept. 10-Nov. 7, 6-8 p.m. An introductory ESL class designed to teach basic communication of the English language. Cost is $185.
● Interpersonal Communication Skills in the Workplace. Monday and Wednesday, Sept. 10 and 12, 1-5 p.m. This course prepares students to communicate effectively within organizations and businesses or professional situations. Cost is $199.
● Keeping Customers for Life. Friday, Sept. 28, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Learn how to seize Customer Service Opportunities. Cost is $199.
To register for these classes or for more information, call (409) 880-8114. A full listing of all of the classes LIT’s Workforce Training and Continuing Education Department is available at www.lit.edu/.