Entergy: Take the chill from your home without heating up your energy bills
After an unseasonably mild fall, Southeast Texans will get to turn on their furnaces and light up their fireplaces this week, thanks to the first significant cold front to move into the South and stay for a while. In addition to the discomfort extreme cold brings to those of us more accustomed to warmer weather, there is also the increased cost to keep homes and businesses comfortable.
Entergy Texas, Inc., however, reminds customers that a little conservation, a few lifestyle changes and some savvy bill management can go a long way to helping stay comfortable while controlling energy costs more effectively.
“Managing energy costs doesn’t mean compromising comfort,” said Vernon Pierce, customer service director for Entergy Texas. “Many of the same, simple do-it-yourself projects that help keep our homes comfortable in summer can help keep a lid on winter energy bills.”
Entergy Texas’ customers are reminded of the top five energy-savers:
- Adjust the thermostat. During winter months, set the thermostat to 68 degrees. Every degree higher can add 3 percent to your bill.
- Conserve hot water. Wrap your electric water heater with a water heater blanket and set the thermostat to 120 degrees or medium.
- Replace air and furnace filters every 30 days or as required by the type of filter.
- Use energy-efficient bulbs when replacing light bulbs. Entergy recommends Energy Star-qualified compact fluorescent light bulbs that use 70 percent less energy and last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Seal air leaks. Weather-strip around doors, windows and any location where there may be a path from the inside of your home to the outside.
Entergy Texas customers can find more tips, as well as clear, do-it-yourself videos, to help them put these ideas to good use at entergytexas.com/savemoney.
Plus, Entergy Texas offers options to help customers manage their bills. Customers can take advantage of budget-billing options such as Level Billing, Equal Pay and Pick-A-Date.
For the elderly and disabled who may face a crisis, Entergy Texas operates The Power to Care, a program that partners with community-based charitable, nonprofit agencies to pay up to two energy bills a year for those who qualify.
And whatever choice a customer may make, its worth remembering that Entergy Texas has more ways than ever to stay in touch through its text messaging features and smart phone app. To learn more, go to entergytexas.com and click on myAccount.
“With so many media choices today, people value a reliable, simple solution for getting important information,” Pierce said. “By offering updates by cellphone, Entergy Texas provides a service that’s portable, convenient and up-to-the-minute.”
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to more than 400,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, and it is the second-largest nuclear generator in the United States. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.7 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
Entergy Texas’ online address is: entergytexas.com