DPS Urges Texans to Prepare for Winter Storm
The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is encouraging Texans to prepare for another strong cold front expected to impact parts of Texas beginning tonight and continuing through Wednesday. Forecasts indicate the possibility of freezing rain, sleet and snow accumulation across portions of Texas.
“As Texas braces for more cold temperatures reminiscent of last week’s wintery blast, DPS advises residents to continue monitoring the changing weather conditions in their area and to prepare for any weather-related hazards,” said DPS Director Steven McCraw. “Drivers should use extra caution on roadways in areas experiencing freezing rain, sleet or snow, all of which can create extremely dangerous driving conditions.”
In preparation for this winter weather, the State Operations Center will activate to Level III (increased readiness conditions) to monitor and coordinate this weather event. Several state agencies, including the Texas Department of Transportation, Texas Military Forces, and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, are standing by to assist communities with this weather event as needed.
DPS offers the following tips for staying safe during inclement weather:
- Avoid unnecessary travel if possible, monitor local weather broadcasts, and follow up-to-the-minute weather conditions at http://www.weather.gov/.
- Remember that ice forms first on bridges, overpasses and shady areas.
- On icy roads, drive slowly, increase distance needed for stopping, and avoid using cruise control.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before any trip – check fluid and antifreeze levels.
- Buckle up everyone in the vehicle – it’s the law.
In addition, here is a list of emergency supplies drivers can keep in their vehicle:
- Blankets/sleeping bags and extra clothing, mittens and hat
- Cell phone, radio, flashlight, extra batteries
- First-aid kit and pocket knife
- High-calorie, nonperishable food, bottled water
- Sack of sand or cat litter to provide traction for tires
- Windshield scraper, tool kit, booster cables, tow rope and shovel
For additional information regarding winter weather preparedness, visit:http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/