UPDATE – Reward offered for most wanted sex offender
UPDATE -Dustin Ray Smith, 33, a Texas 10 Most Wanted Sex Offender, is now in custody after turning himself in on Tuesday in Amarillo. Smith was wanted for failure to register as a sex offender, evading arrest and probation violation. The arrest was not the result of a tip, and no reward will be paid.
The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) has added Dustin Ray Smith, 33, to the Texas 10 Most Wanted Sex Offenders list, and a cash reward up to $3,000 is now being offered for information leading to his capture. Smith is wanted for failure to register as a sex offender, evading arrest and probation violation. All tips are guaranteed to be anonymous.
Smith has ties to Amarillo and the state of Tennessee. In 2012, Smith was convicted of sexual assault of a child after an incident in Potter County involving a 15-year-old girl. His criminal history also includes retaliation and assault. For more information or updates in the event of his arrest, see his wanted bulletin at:www.dps.texas.gov/Texas10MostWanted/SexOffenderDetails.aspx?id=326.
Smith is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs approximately 175 pounds. He has a tattoo on the left side of his neck and a scar near his right eye. He has work experience as a painter and maintenance worker.
Texas Crime Stoppers, which is funded by the Governor’s Criminal Justice Division, offers cash rewards to any person who provides information that leads to the arrest of one of the Texas 10 Most Wanted fugitives or sex offenders.
To be eligible for the cash rewards, tipsters must provide information to authorities using one of the five following methods:
- Call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-252-TIPS (8477).
- Text the letters DPS – followed by your tip – to 274637 (CRIMES) from your cell phone.
- Submit a web tip through the DPS website by selecting the fugitive you have information about, and then clicking on the link under their picture.
- Submit a Facebook tip at http://www.facebook.com/texas10mostwanted by clicking the “SUBMIT A TIP” link (under the “About” section).
- Submit a tip through the DPS Mobile App. The app is currently available for iPhone users on the Apple App Store: (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/texas-dps/id902092368?mt=8) and for Android users on Google Play: (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microassist.texasdps&hl=en).
All tips are anonymous – regardless of how they are submitted, and tipsters will be provided a tip number instead of using a name.
DPS investigators work with local law enforcement agencies to select fugitives for the Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitive and Sex Offender lists. You can find the current lists – with photos – on the DPS website at http://www.dps.texas.gov/texas10mostwanted/.
Do not attempt to apprehend these fugitives; they are considered armed and dangerous.