Nichols requests applications for Texas Armed Services Scholarship
Sen. Robert Nichols (R-Jacksonville) has called on qualified students to apply for a Texas Armed Services Scholarship.
“This scholarship is a way to encourage and reward students interested in military service,” said Nichols. “It provides a unique opportunity for students to pursue higher education and take advantage of preparation from college ROTC programs.”
The scholarship is offered by the state and rewards students who commit to four years of ROTC training and military service after graduation. Scholarship recipients who fail to complete the required criteria must repay the scholarship amount.
To be eligible, applicant must meet two of the following requirements:
- Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program.
- 3.0 or higher GPA
- Rank in the top third of graduating class.
- Achieve a college readiness score on the SAT (1070) or ACT (23).
To receive the scholarship:
- Submit an essay explaining why you believe military service is important and how you would fulfill the requirements of the scholarship
- Be enrolled in a Texas public or private accredited institution of higher education;
- Enroll in an eligible Texas institution and an eligible ROTC program
- Commit in writing to:
- Remain in ROTC for four years.
- Graduate within six years.
- Enter Guard service or accept a commission with the armed services within six months of graduation from college.
To apply for the Texas Armed Services Scholarship, students should submit a one or two-page essay explaining why they believe military service is important and how they would fulfill the requirements of the scholarship. Evidence of qualifications and essays must be received by Thursday, June 30. Essays and evidence of qualifications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As students may be contacted for a follow-up interview if needed and may be asked to provide documentation of qualifications, please include personal contact information.. For more information or questions please visit http://www.hhloans.com or contact Sen. Nichols’ Jacksonville district office at 903-589-3003 during normal business hours.