Lamar University offers a wide variety of summer camps to keep students busy
From theater and robots to dance and volleyball, Lamar University has the right camp for you. This summer, Lamar will host 14 camps for individuals of various ages.
The following is a list of the camps, their dates and contact names and numbers:
• Dewi Hardman’s Lamar Lady Cardinals Soccer Camp – June 7, 14, 21 and 28 for players ages 6 through 16, July 30- Aug. 2 for teams and individuals ages 6 through 18, both at Cardinal Stadium. Contact: soccer office, 880-7595.
• Bernard Harris Summer Science Camp – June 8-20 in the John Gray Center. Free two-week residential camp for incoming sixth-, seventh-, and eighth-grade students who are excelling in mathematics and science. Contact: Otila Urbina, 880-7786. Although the camp is full, interested students can add their names to a waiting list through June 6. This camp helps economically and/or socially disadvantaged youths to reach their potential.
• Jim Gilligan Baseball Camp – Session I, June 9-13; Session II, June 16-20, both for ages 6 through 12; Session III, June 23-26, ages 6 through 18 at Vincent-Beck Stadium. Contact: 880-8135 or 880-8974.
• Superkids – June 16-20, June 23-27, July 7-11 and July 14-18 at the Early Childhood Development Center on the Lamar campus. Designed for students entering first through third grade in the fall. Contact: Margaret Swope, 880-8098.
• INSPIRED Robotics Academy – June 16-20 in the Department of Computer Science’s INSPIRED lab, Room 201 of the Maes Building. Contact: 880-8782 or 880-7741.
• Lamar Cardinal Tennis Camp – June 16-20 or July 14-18. Classes divided into beginner and intermediate/advance skill levels and focus on technical skills and stroke development. Contact: David Wong, 880-8056.
• Lamar Theatre Summer Workshop – June 16-20 at the University Theatre. Group 1, for students entering ninth through 12th grades, is a residential program. Group 2, for students entering sixth through eighth grades, is a day camp. The workshop is designed to teach students about acting, playwriting and technical production. Contact: Theatre office, 880-8037.
• Band Camp – June 22-26 in the Music Building on the Lamar campus. Residential camp designed for junior high and high school students in grades 7 through 12. Contact: Band office, 880-8148.
• Lamar Women’s Volleyball Summer Camp – Camp I, June 23-26, Camp II, July 14-17, both fifth through 10th grade; Elite Camp, July 20-22, open to students who previously participated on a high school varsity volleyball team or will in the upcoming season; Team Camp, July 27-29, open to high school freshmen, JV and varsity teams. Contact: Justin Gibert, 880-8717.
• Men’s Basketball Summer Camp – June 23-26, Aug. 4-7 in the Montagne Center. Open to boys, ages 7-18. Students learn fundamental instruction and drills and participate in games and contests. Contact: Lamar men’s basketball office, 880-8301.
• Texas Governor’s School – July 6-25 on the Lamar campus. Residential program that focuses on leadership in the humanities, language arts, mathematics, fine arts, and science. High school students in 10th or 11th grades are eligible to participate. Contact: Dorothy Sisk, 880-8046.
• Dance Camp – July 7-11. The full-day camp includes classes in ballet, modern dance, jazz, and specialty classes taught by Lamar faculty and guest teachers. Designed for ages 12 through adult. One year’s dance training is required to enroll. Contact: Michelle Ozmun, 880-7799.
• Go West Academy – July 7-11 at the John Gray Center. Free academy open to young women in Southeast Texas entering grades 9 through 12 in fall 2008 who have an interest in engineering as a career. Contact: Otila Urbina, 880-7786.
• All State Choir Camp – July 21-25 in the Music Building on the Lamar campus. Students can choose either to participate as day-campers or residential-campers. State-recognized teachers focus on teaching students all-state choir music. Contact: Eduardo Garcia-Novelli, 880-8145.
Some camps require advance registration and pre-payment of fees. The contact persons can provide more information regarding registration deadlines and fees. Additional information is available at lamar.edu.