Hurricane Preparedness and Household Pets
As families in coastal areas make hurricane preparedness plans, it is important to plan for care of the family pet. As you are preparing your family disaster supply kit, also prepare a supply kit for each of your animals in easy-to-carry, waterproof containers. Make sure all your pets are wearing identification and that you have their veterinary records available.
After a severe storm, it may take several days to restore electricity to your area and transportation may be impeded due to downed trees and damage to road. A typical supply kit for family pets should include:
• Two-week supply of water in plastic gallon jugs, dry and canned food, can opener, spoon or scoop and disposable bowls
• Two-week supply of any medications
• Cage, crate or carrier labeled with your contact information
• Leash, collar, harness, muzzle
• Proof of ownership, such as a picture of you with your pet
• Copies of veterinary records
• Feeding and medication instructions, including what NOT to feed your pet
• Pet toys, bedding or treats
• Clean up supplies, including plastic, sealable bags for solid waste, cat litter, litter pan and scoop, newspaper, paper towels, hand sanitizers, wet and dry wipes, trash bags and odor eliminators.
Make plans now about where you and your family would stay if local officials call for an evacuation. Family pets should never be left behind in an evacuation. No one knows how long it may be before residents are allowed to return home.
If you and your family are self-evacuating, make reservations ahead of time and leave early. Keep in mind that not all hotels or shelters allow pets.
For information on disaster supply kits for families, see the Public Information section of the GDEM Web site:
For more information on household pets and livestock in disasters, see the TXSART Web site: www.txsart.org and the Texas Animal Health Commission Web site: www.tahc.state.tx.us
For more information, contact GDEM Public Information at (512) 424-2138 or visit GDEM’s Web site: www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem.