Twenty-five days of no practice, workouts or games, took its toll on the WO-S Mustangs for the first quarter of the game Friday night, but the Mustangs proved that they still had what it took to win a ball game…and win big.

The first match-up with the Brookshire-Royal Falcons found the Katy team running back to the bus with their tail feathers tucked as the #2 ranked Mustangs proved to be a little too much after they shook the rust off that Ike left behind.

“I knew that we would be a little rusty after so long not practicing or playing but the kids didn’t panic and they caught on and never looked back, winning 33-7,” Head Coach Dan Hooks said after Friday’s game.

Starting out slow, WO-S had a touchdown called back for pass interference and then fumbled the ball to the Falcons, who scooped the ball up and scored. However, that would be the lone score for the feisty Falcons.

The second quarter was much better for the Mustangs who scored 26 points before the half. Senior Quintavious Garrett scored the first touchdown after whittling away at the huge Falcon offensive line a couple of yards at a time.

The Chain Gang defense went to work causing and recovering several fumbles to set up more scores. Junior Terry Rubin had an outstanding night recovering two of the fumbles while senior Adrian Steen also fell on a loose ball.

“The defense was outstanding Friday night. I’ve seen Royal play twice before this game and they definitely played about 50 per cent harder than those two games,” Hooks said. “But we showed up ready to play, too.”

Quarterback Ortavious Hypolite scored the second touchdown on a run around left side, rolling over a Falcon defender right into the end zone. A Hypolite pass to junior Trey Franks was the third score and another Hypolite run made it 26-7 going in at the half.

Franks was also instrumental in the last score of the game after intercepting a Falcon pass at the three-yard line. The Mustangs moved the ball down the field before Garrett took it to the house from 46-yards out.

The Mustangs will now face the Silsbee Tigers in the biggest test of the year as they defend their 21-3A district crown on Friday night.
“Silsbee is a talented bunch and they always come ready to play,” Hooks said.

Silsbee, who lost to Jasper 14-0 in their last preseason game, returns their quarterback, Jeremy Johnson and several wide receivers. Although they lost several offensive linemen, the defense is strong, according to Hooks.

“It should be a good matchup. Whoever shows up and plays 48 minutes of football will win,” Hooks said.

Although several Mustang players lost their homes, when school started back, all players returned to play and with a determination to not only play, but to win. The Mustangs will play at 7:30 at Dan R. Hooks stadium to start district play.

Show your support for their loyalty by showing up at the game and cheering them on to another winning season…one that will NEVER be forgotten. The Mustangs beat Rita three years ago, and now help them beat IKE with an outstanding finish to a great beginning.