Hurricane Ike Disaster Aid Deadline Extended
Workers in all 34 counties affected by Hurricane Ike must apply no later than Nov. 12
The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) announced that the Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) deadline for individuals in the 34 counties named in the Presidential Disaster Declaration FEMA-1791-DR whose employment or self-employment was lost or interrupted due to Hurricane Ike between Sept. 7, 2008, and Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008, has been extended to Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2008.
The 34 counties in the declaration include Angelina, Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Cherokee, Fort Bend, Galveston, Gregg, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Madison, Matagorda, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Smith, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller and Washington.
DUA is available to individuals who:
• worked or were self-employed in or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment,
• can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster,
• establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income,
• do not qualify for regular unemployment benefits from any state,
• cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster, or
• who became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household.
Applications filed after Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2008, will be considered untimely, unless the individual provides good cause for filing after the deadline.
Individuals will need their Social Security number, a copy of their most recent federal income tax forms or check stubs, or documentation to support they were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred. To receive DUA benefits, all required documentation must be submitted within 21 days from the day the DUA application is filed.
To file for DUA, claimants may apply online at http://www.texasworkforce.org, but should specify that their claim is disaster-related. Claimants also can call the nearest Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) Tele-Center Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Standard Time, through Wednesday, November 12, or call toll-free at (800) 939-6631.
Tele-Centers will be closed Tuesday, November 11, 2008, in observance of Veterans Day. Claimants also can e-mail TWC at UIHelp@twc.state.tx.us.
Austin local: (512) 340-4300 Houston local: (281) 983-1100
Dallas local: (972) 339-6200 McAllen local: (956) 984-4700
El Paso local: (915) 832-6400 San Antonio local: (210) 258-6600
Fort Worth local: (817) 420-1600 Others call toll free: (800) 939-6631
Reemployment services are available through Texas Workforce Centers or by accessing http://www.WorkInTexas.com for information.