May 9 election filing ends
Election filing deadlines this week for the May 9 election saw opposition in Bridge City, Orange and Pinehurst council races; and mayoral contests in Pine Forest and Vidor. West Orange saw no opposition.
The only school district reporting this week (during spring break) for board slots was Bridge City, recording unopposed seats for Lon Hubbard, Place 1; and Kirk Ellender, Place 2.
Cities are listed by alphabetical order:
• Bridge City: Running for Seat 5 are incumbent Richard Savoy, Lucy J. Fields and Don Bartz; and for Seat 1 – Incumbent Kevin Mott, and Susan McPhail. Unopposed is Robert Simonton Jr. in Seat 3. Fields is married to former BC City Manager Don Fields.
• Orange: Running for Seat 2 are incumbent Jimmy Sims and Elgin Browning. In the Seat 4 race, incumbent Deborah Mitchell faces William Mello.
• Pine Forest: Mayor Jody Crump did not file by the deadline. Those who did file for the mayor’s postion were James Eubank and Danny Peno. Unopposed is John Davis, Seat 1.
• Pinehurst: Challenging for at-large seats are Bill Triggs and George Michael “Mike” Anderson. Unopposed are Bessie Huckaby and Dan Barclay.
• Vidor: Mayor Ray Long is being challened by Johnny Lee Moore. Unopposed are Don Eicher, Ward 1; Mallie Bickham, Ward 4; and David Slaughter, Ward 6.
• West Orange: Unopposed are Mayor Roy McDonald, Councilwoman Francis Droddy and Councilman Charles Winter.