Calvin Dale Broussard passed away early Tuesday morning, July 21, 2009. Funeral services with be 2 p.m., Friday at Claybar Funeral Home in Orange. A brief and private ceremony will also be held grave side at Hanks Cemetery in Morse, La., where he will be buried alongside his father, Andie. The family will receive visitors 5-8 p.m., Thursday, at the funeral home. 

Broussard was born April 12, 1938 in Morse, La. at home. He only spoke Cajun French until he attended school. Cal was a Golden Gloves boxer in high school, and a bit of a ladies man.

In 1955 he married Lou Ella Simon, a good Cajun girl. They had three children, Calvin Dale Jr., Randie and Vicki. He voluntarily entered the Marine Corps in the 1960’s at the height of the Vietnam Conflict and was a decorated Vietnam War veteran, rising to the rank of E-6 in the shortest time ever at Camp Pendleton.

His distinguished career in the cable television industry followed his service to country. Cal partnered and worked with some of the great minds of the day in that burgeoning industry. He was elected to the Cable TV Pioneers in 1990 along with the likes of Ted Turner.

Cal moved to San Antonio in 1981 and soon met Yvonne Cisneros in 1982. They had two children together, Dominick Anthony and Sara Elizabeth. 

He was instrumental in building the cable system there; at the time the third or fourth largest in the world. Cal is credited with making the last connection completing the build.

Through career-long friendships with some of the best of the old “Cable Cowboys,” Cal entered into partnership with some of his best friends, to form Columbia Cablevision. He was given the task of building and operating systems in the Pacific Northwest, Vancouver, B.C., Washington and Beaverton, Ore. While there, he enjoyed entertaining friends, family and professional associates on his sport fishing boat, the Miss Yvonne. Many a salmon were slain and many a glass of single malt scotch were shared on the beautiful vessel that he loved so much. While in Vancouver, Cal also built a massive storage facility that remains a viable and very successful operation.

When his illustrious career came to an end, he retired to Orange, to be closer to his mother and enjoy the fruits of his labor. He remodeled an old ranch-style camp house on Cow Bayou (a couple of times).

Some of Cal’s favorite things were, of course, his children. He always doted over whichever one was in his presence. He also particularly enjoyed sitting on his back porch with a cup of coffee and a good cigar. He was still an avid fisherman and could often be found baiting the hooks for his grandchildren when they visited.
What Cal liked most about living on Cow Bayou were his good friends, Mike and Carolyn Lawson. Dad and Mike’s bellowing “Hey” to each other across the fence, a shared love of boats and their genuine affection for each other made for the best neighbors a man could ask for.

Cal was especially fond of a good wine and a fine cigar. He was also one of the most generous men you’d ever meet. He was never seen letting anyone else pick up the check at dinner.

Cal was also a bit of a clothes horse and enjoyed the cut of a fine tailored suit; and Cadillacs.

He also looked forward every Wednesday to meeting his friends in the Lunch Bunch for fellowship and good company. He cherished his time with the boys.

And of course anyone who knew Cal, knew how much he enjoyed being a man’s man, and was known to escort only the finest ladies around town. Speaking of fine ladies, Cal finally met the woman of his dreams and the one who proved to be his rock when he got ill, Betty Lou Womack. Betty Lou nursed him through a dozen surgeries, six months at St. Luke’s in Houston, all through his recovery and eventual demise. Betty Lou did what all Cal’s family together couldn’t do, take care of Cal.

He is survived by his oldest son, Calvin Dale and wife Becky, Randie and his wife Dorothy, Vicki, Dominick and Sara. He had six grandchildren, Victoria Whitaker, Jennifer and James Rougeau, Mary and T. Wilkinson  and Bailey Grace Broussard; three great-grandchildren, Tory and Tyler Whitaker and Grant Rougeau.

Cal’s family would like to express their deep appreciation to the doctors and staff of St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston for their extremely fine professionalism and bedside manner. Cal was also especially fond of his physician Dr. Wesley Palmer, whom he trusted in completely. Also, a bit thanks to the staff of Harbor Hospice.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to Harbor Hospice.