I suppose it is not all that important if you are just fishing for the heck of it, but if you are tournament fishing or in the guiding business, you best not leave the dock without a Plan B. That said, the fall back plan seldom if ever works out as well as Plan A, but it is very rewarding when it does.

Chet Harrison took it one step further this past weekend as he turned to Plan C to save the day and it resulted in the largest bass of his fishing career. The feat is even more incredible considering the fact that neither Plan A or B even involved bass!

“When the front rolled in and it poured all night Thursday, I was really disappointed,” said Harrison. “We had been catching some big trout on Calcasieu and I wanted to fish the full moon over there all weekend.”

Rather than waste a day of vacation, he went to work and took in a football game Friday night. When a phone call confirmed his fear that his trout hot spot had muddied up, he loaded up his boat and drove up to his camp on Toledo Bend the following morning.

“I intended to spoon fish for yellow bass and hybrids that afternoon with my son-in law, but he was driving in from Leesville and didn’t get there until ten o’clock that night,” added Harrison. “They had to take the grandkids trick or treating before leaving home and I was 0 for 2 at that point.”

Plan C kicked in when his son-in-law suggested they make one round in their cove in the Indian Creek area before going to bed. Chet was fishing a frog and Jason was fishing a buzz bait when a huge bass blew up on Jason’s lure. They missed the fish and continued to fish around three or four more docks before turning around and fishing their way back.

“I’ll be doggone if that same fish or an even bigger one didn‘t hit his bait in the same spot on the way back,” stated Harrison. This time, they boated the big bass which weighed a little over seven pounds on their digital scales. Jason was releasing his fish when another big bass demolished Chet’s frog.

“It ran back under the dock, then it ran under a pontoon boat and finally wrapped itself around a floating fish box tied to the end of the pier,” laughed Harrison. “I was breathing so hard when Jason lifted her in by the lower jaw that I thought I was going to pass out.”
The bass weighed 10.78 pounds on their scale that night and 10.40 pounds on certified scales the following day. The fish is now on her way to the taxidermist. “To be perfectly honest, I never even considered putting her back,” he said. “I am 62-years old, very seldom bass fish anymore and I don’t believe one less bass is going to have much effect on Toledo Bend over the long haul.”

Harrison later told me that he had never had any fish mounted before, but this one was special. They moved a deer stand the next day and caught a lot of yellow bass with the kids, but Plan C was the highlight of the weekend!

I was more interested in the fact that he had done very well on the big trout at night during the full moon last month. They were not wade fishing only because his partner is physically unable to do so. “The big trout were so concentrated that I know we would have done even better had we gotten out of the boat and fished that one small area even slower,” pointed out Harrison.

“We still caught eight fish in three nights over six pounds which is good for us this early. Last December I took the week of the full moon off and we both caught a speck over nine pounds and 19 others over seven pounds. That’s not a lot of fish for a week of fishing, but even one big trout can make a night!”

He wasn’t into drawing any maps, but said they catch most of their fish on solid black Super Spooks or Corky Devils. He also said that they prefer a slow incoming tide after midnight. “I’ve never mounted a trout either,” added Harrison, “but if I ever catch one over 12-pounds she’ll wind up on the wall right next to that bass!”