Mauriceville festival this weekend
The 30th annual Mauriceville Crawfish Festival will be Friday through Sunday, April 16-18, on the festival fairgrounds on Texas 62 in Mauriceville.
Highlights include a parade, carnival, food and craft booths and entertainment by the Jamie Talbert Band, the Slow Rollin’ Lows (Friday), Abbey Schulze, Louisiana Scramble Band, Fifth Grade Choir, OJC; the Southeast Texas Square Dancers, the Cody Riley Band, Kelly Cordova and the Whole Shootin’ Match and Cheap Whiskey (Saturday) and a Battle of the Bands (Sunday).
Prizes for the barbecue cookoff (brisket and rib) are $200 for first in each event, with trophies given. Gates open Friday from 5-11 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m.-midnight and Sunday from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Parade winners will be announced at noon Saturday. The Crawfish Eating Contest and Crawfish Races begin at 1 p.m Saturday. For parade information, call 988-6533.
Wristbands are available for carnival rides. According to veteran festival co-organizer Mary Jane Johnson, wristband prices and times are $20 Friday from 6-10 p.m.; Saturday from noon-4 p.m. and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. For general festival information, call 782-3488.
Lakin Longoria, daughter of Kenneth and Samantha Holloway and Michael Longoria, will reign as 2010 queen over the festival.
• Queens are: Young Miss Queen, Callie Dawson, daughter of Kathy Dawson; and Petite Miss Queen, Jayden Nicole Shay, daughter of Tammy and Mark Shay.
• Tiny Miss Queen, Shailee Watz, daughter of Stacy Watz; and Little Miss Queen, McKenzie Freeman, daughter of Greg and Misti Freeman.
• Dainty Miss Queen, Kenzie Hodges, daughter of Joshua and Krislyn Hodges and Toddler Miss Queen Lela Welch, daughter of Charles and Crystal Welch.
Sponsors include Kicker 95.1, Glen’s Express Collision, Accurate Audio and Video, Doucette Paint Co., Mauriceville Tire and Lube, Better Built Metal Buildings, The Rusty Rooster Bakery and Cafe, Moz Grill and Ben’s Tire and Lube.
• 6 p.m. – Jamie Talbert; 9 p.m. – Slow Rollin’ Lows.
• 10 a.m. – Abbey Schulze; 11 a.m. – Louisiana Scramble Band; 2 p.m. – Fifth Grade Choir, OJC; 4 p.m. – Cody Riley Band; 6 p.m. – Kelly Cordova and the Whole Shootin’ Match; 9 p.m. – Cheap Whiskey.
• Battle of the Bands.