The Bridge City Cardinals took care of their last warm-up game, with a 37-19 win over the Stafford Spartans. The Cards head into the bye week with a 4-1 record. They get a much deserved week rest before they open district with their homecoming game against the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks Oct. 7.

Friday, the first quarter ended with neither team crossing the goal line. The Cardinals, however, would strike first with 10:44 left in the second quarter on an eight yard run by Hunter Clark.
Daniel Faulk added the point for 7-0.

One minute and 44 seconds later, Cameron Dishon would pick off a Spartan pass and race 75 yards for a pick six. The PAT failed, upping the score to 13-0.

The Redbirds would make it 20-0, when Mitchel Hubbard hauled in a Matt Menard pass and raced 64 yards for a TD. Faulk’s PAT was good.

Stafford would get on the board with a 55 yard drive, ending in a three yard TD run, bringing our score to 20-7 with 1:30 left in the half.

With :20 second left in the half, Hubbard would strike again, hauling in an 11 yard pass from Menard for a touchdown and Faulk’s extra point brought our half time score to 27-7.

The Cardinals took their opening drive of the second half to 67 yards, that ended off the foot of Faulk for a 23 yard field goal. With 8:27 left in the third, the Cardinals would have a 30-7 advantage.

Hunter Wools spoiled the Spartans opening drive of the second half, by snatching the ball from the Spartans and advancing it to their 47 yard line. The third quarter would end 30-7.

Stafford got the ball back on downs and put together a 68 yard drive, capped off by a two yard touchdown run. The PAT was blocked cutting in to the Cardinal lead 30-13. After a fumble by the Cardinals, the Spartans went 37 yards on their drive, that ended in a one yard TD run. Their try for two was no good.

With 6:25 left in the game, our score showed 30-19. After a failed onside kick, Clark took over, powering the ball down the middle with several runs, taking a lot of time off the clock. After a late hit on Menard, advancing the ball to the five, Clark pounded his way in for a TD and Faulk’s point brought our score to 37-19. The late hit of Menard, fired our defense up, especially Malachi Busby.

The Spartans’ last drive started at the 44 yard line. Two big sacs by Busby and a third down tackle pushed the ball back 20 yards, forcing the Stafford Spartans to punt.

Bridge City took over and ran the clock out, coming away with a 37-19 victory.

The Cardinals had 241 yards rushing, led by Hunter Clark with 110 yards on 14 carries and also had 14 yards receiving on one catch.

Menard had 109 yards on 14 carries and also pass for 192 yards on 18 attempts.

Ashton Hunter had 21 yards on four carries and Tyler Roberts had three yards on two carries.

The Cardinals had 192 yards receiving led by Hubbard with 97 yards on four catches.

Dishon had 43 yards on two catches and Roberts had 38 yards on two catches.

The road to the playoffs starts at home in two weeks, at 7 p.m. Come on out and support our Cardinals.

The Stafford Spartans look much improved from last year giving the Cardinals a nice test, but it was a no contest for our cheerleaders, band and how about those STRUTTERS?