The Battlin’

Bears started like a house afire Friday night against the Central High Jaguars.

The Bears led the first half, but the fire went out in the second half and the

game ended giving the Jaguars the win by seven points. The final score of 20-13

dropped the Bears to 1-2 in district, 4-2 for the season.

In the

opening plays the Bear defense held tough against the Jaguars forcing them to

punt early in the quarter. Hayden Reed of the Bears blew through the line and

blocked the punt to give the Bears the ball on the seven yard line.

The Jaguar

defense was just as tough on the Bears and held the line. The Bears could not

make the fourth and goal from the one yard line.

The Bears

defense held the Jaguars and the Bears took possession. The Bear offense

covered 42 yards in seven plays. Brilion Douglas pushed through the last two

yards to give the Bears their first TD of the night. A good PAT run by Trent

Manuel made the score 7-0.

The ball

moved back and forth between the teams with both defenses hanging tough. Isaiah

Zavala made a great play when he pounced on a fumble and got the Bears the ball

on the Jaguar 43 yard line. Douglas made a 22 yard run and got the ball in

field goal range. The Bears could not get past the Jaguar defense. With 1:27 on

the clock, Manuel booted the ball across the cross members for a 26 yard field

goal and gave the Bears the lead 10-0.

In the short

time left in the half, the Jaguars played like mad cats. They took the ball on

their own 34 yard line and moved 66 yards in five plays. Emanuel Carter had 26

and 21 yard runs. Junior quarterback Eric Bramble, replacing the injured

starting quarterback, Robert Mitchell, tossed the ball 14 yards to Landen Malbrough.

The PAT missed the goal and the score was 6-0 with 13 seconds left in the half.

The Jaguars

clawed the Bears in the second half. Kyle Holmes recovered a fumble and ran the

ball to the 16 yard line before being buried by a few Bears. Bramble shot the

ball to Malbrough in the end zone. A good PAT gave the jaguars the lead 13-10.

The Bear

offense got into trouble and the Jaguars took over on the 30. Eric Carter made two good runs and gained

enough yards to get to the 3 yard line. The Bear defense held the line and the

Bears took the ball.

Bad news hit

the Bears again when Wesley Johns intercepted a pass and ran the ball for long

yardage until he was tackled on the 5 yard line. They were held on a third and

goal, but pass interference call against the Bears reversed that. Carter moved

two yards and scored. Quinton’s PAT was good and the score was 20-10 Jaguars

with three seconds left in the third quarter.

Nothing seemed

to go right for the Bears in the fourth quarter. Zavala recovered another

fumble and the Bears had the ball on the 23 yard line. The Jaguar defense held

them and forced them to try a field goal. Manuel made the 20 yard kick and the

score was 20-13.

The Jaguars

dominated the rest of the game, keeping possession and running the clock out.

Next Friday

the Bears will face the Vidor Pirates on the Pirates home turf.