The Orangefield Bobcats (3-3 overall, 0-1 in district) will be hosting the West Orange-Stark Mustangs (3-3 overall, 1-0 in district) this Friday at F.L. McClain stadium. For the first time ever these two teams enter the contest with the same record.

The Mustangs celebrated a 22-12 Homecoming victory last week over the Hamshire-Fannet Longhorns while the Bobcats had a 15-7 loss to the undefeated Silsbee Tigers.

Orangefield traveled to Silsbee this past Friday and played swarming, physical, defense holding the Tigers that had been averaging close to 37 points a game to only 15.

The Tigers drove into the red zone with their first possession of the game but the determined Bobcats were able to hold off the Silsbee effort and the Tigers turned the ball over to the Bobcats on downs.

The first quarter ended with the score tied at zero. At 8:55 of the second quarter, Silsbee was facing a fourth and goal from the 2 yard line. Orangefield’s defense forced a Darrian Turk fumble on the four yard line that Orangefield’s Rylan Cook, in his first game back since being injured in the first game of the season, returned all the way for Orangefield’s only score of the game. The point after made the score 7-0 Orangefield.

After Orangefield’s defensive score, neither offense could gain much traction for the remainder of the half.

Orangefield was able to hold the Silsbee on the series after the touchdown and the Tigers turned the ball over on downs. Orangefield converted a fourth down to continue their drive only to lose the ball on a fumble that was recovered by the Tigers on the Orangefield 47.
The first half ended with each team playing good defense and the offenses struggling. Orangefield lead 7-0 with there score coming from the defense.

Near the end of the third quarter Silsbee was driving towards the red zone and the Orangefield defense was playing well. On what appeared to be a tackle for a loss in the Silsbee backfield, Orangefield was flagged for a face mask penalty that set up Silsbee with a first down on the ten yard line, two plays later Silsbee scored their first touchdown of the night with a Patrick Reed ten yard run and followed up with a two point conversion to take the lead 8-7.

Silsbee would go on to score the final touchdown of the game with a Floyd Spearman seven yard run and secure the victory with 5:21 on the clock.

Orangefield continues to improve each week. Against Silsbee they opened up the passing game with Ackerman completing seven of 15 attempts for 82 yards, and two interceptions.