What a ball game! What a defensive performance by both teams! The Bridge City Cardinals gave the Silsbee Tiger their first loss of the year, 6-0. The Cardinals improved to 6-1 overall and 2-0 in district, while the Tigers fell to 6-1 overall, and 1-1 in district play. The win set up the big game Friday night against the West Orange-Stark Mustangs at Dan R. Hook Stadium.
Both teams are 2-0 in district play, and will be playing for first place in the district.

The Bridge City Cardinals have never defeated the West Orange-Stark Mustangs.

Against a tough Silsbee offense, the Cardinal defensive line, led by Bryson Banks, Cameron Coulter and company, put pressure on Silsbee all night, leading to six interceptions. Three interceptions were by Tanner Cervenka, two by Tyler Roberts and one by Cameron Dishon, keeping the Tigers out of the end zone.

Silsbee received the open kickoff, but it resulted in a punt after a big sac by Keith Youngblood.

Silsbee’s second series ended in a nice interception and run by Tyler Roberts. The Cardinals had two series in the first quarter but both ended in punts. In the second quarter Silsbee’s first drive ended in another Cardinal INT. Ashton Hunter tipped the ball in the air and Cameron Dishon hauled it in.

The Cardinals first drive of the quarter ended in a punt, and then there were back-to-back turn over on downs. The Tigers went for it on fourth and one, but were driven back by Banks, Coulter and Malachi Busby. The Cardinals took over and went for it on fourth and inches, but were stuffed by the Tigers. The Tigers tied to put together a drive but Cervenka, who picked of a Tiger pass in the end zone, spoiled it. The teams took off for the break with no one crossing either goal line.

The Cardinals started the second half with a nice drive, highlighted by a big run by Matt Menard of 45 yards, and a nice catch by Slate Arnold from Menard. That drive would go over on downs at the twelve. After a punt from Silsbee, Bridge City put together the winning drive. The Cardinals went 54 yards on the drive that ended with a hook up from Menard to Roberts for a 12 yard TD pass. The point after was no good, bringing the score to 6-0 with 3:28 left in the third quarter. Roberts would stop the next Silsbee drive, with his second INT of the game. The Cardinals would use up the rest of the clock up in the third frame, with a drive that went into the fourth quarter, but went back to the Tigers on downs.

Silsbee put together a serious threat, but Cervenka spoiled it again, with his second pick on a fourth and goal with the ball at the fifteen. The Cardinals went three and out, punting the ball back to Silsbee. Silsbee took over on their 43 yard line and the Bridge City fans were on their feet cheering for another defensive stand. Dishon would have a big hit in the series, jarring the ball away from a Tiger receiver. Tanner Cervenka said enough of the drama, and picked off his third pass of the night, and playing it smart by going down to the ground. The Cardinals took over, getting into the victory formation and ran the clock out, for the win.

Come out and support the Cardinals in this important Dist. 21-3A contest. The defense must bring it again. We know the band, which received a division one rating across the board, at the marching contest will bring it. The cheerleaders will bring it, and how about those STRUTTERS?