The Battlin’ Bears took on the Livingston Lions in “The

Jungle” Friday night and the Lions skinned the Bears 35-0. The win put the

Lions in a three way tie for second place in district 20-4A with the Vidor

Pirates and the PNG Indians. The Bears

dropped to 1-5 in district and 4-5 for the season.

Next Friday the Bears will host the Nederland

Bulldogs. Nederland’s win over Ozen clinched the first place slot for the

Bulldogs. This is the first time in 46 years that Nederland has had a clear

first place title.

Livingston so completely dominated play that the

Bears were held to only 130 yards total offense. The Bears gave the game a great effort, but seemed to be outclassed by the Lions speed and ability to hit hard when they needed to.

The Lions first score came in the second quarter

when Devon Barnes made a two yard run that took him across the goal line. Later

Kyle Neal crossed the line to put another six on the board. The two good kicks

made the score 14-0 at the half.

The clock was ticking at 10:16 when the Lions took possession

of the ball on the 41 yard line. Nine plays later Lions quarterback Collins

would make a good pass from the 21 yard line to give the Lions another TD. With

a good kick the score was 21-0 with 5:43 left in the third quarter.

Jonathan Rodgers brought the ball to the 45 yard

line to start the Bear’s possession. On the first and ten play Brilon Douglas

gained about one half yard. After three more plays with only a slight gain in

yardage, the Bears were forced to punt.

The Lions took the ball with 4:46 on the clock and

kept both possession and control for the rest of the quarter. They let the

clock run out to end play in the third.

Seven plays into the fourth quarter with 9:30 on the

clock the Lions scored again. After a good kick across the uprights the score

was 28-0.

The Bears first play in the fourth was also the best

of the game. Kyle Herfurth made a 33 yard pass to Jordan Harmon. On the next

play Preston Armstrong caught another good Herfurth pass to put the Bears

inside the 40 yard line.

On the sixth play of that possession, Herfurth was

sacked for a loss of 12 yards. The Lions took over with eight minutes on the

clock. With 6:52 on the fourth quarter

clock the Lions scored again and put the score at 35-0 after the PAT.

The Bears made one more effort, but after the fourth

down the ball went to the Lions for the rest of the game.

The Lions seemed to have a combination of speed and

power that was just too much for the Bears to overcome.