Libraries launch summer reading programs
Do your kids need something else to do in addition to watching television and playing video games? Maybe the Orange Public Library and the Bridge City Public Library can help.
The OPL 2012 Summer Reading Program runs from June 13 to July 25 at the library, The programs is called Get a Clue…at Your Library.
There’s also a Read-to-Me program for children going into kindergarten or younger with their guardian presented from 10:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. on Wednesdays in the children’s room. The stories are read by guest story-time readers.
The Texas Reading Club is for children in the first through the sixth grades from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Wednesdays in the meeting room.
• Discovering nature with Shangri La Botanical Gardens and Nature Center
• “TOP SECRET” Spy-a-Book” a Julian Franklin production
• Art-to-Go presented by the Art Museum of Southeast Texas
• Mystery Art with the Stark Museum of Art
• The Wonders of Pets presented by the Humane Society of SETX (Live animal will be present. Pet food and donations will be accepted)
The last program is a Summer Reading Club Carnival for both age groups from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on July 25. Children may play games, receive a reading certificate, coupons and Library Bucks for turning in a reading log.
There is also a Teen Program for grades seventh to 12th from 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. on Tuesdays that include guest speakers, movie nights, games and crafts.
The purpose of the program is to encourage students to read throughout the summer in order to maintain and increase reading skills they have developed during the school year.
Library cards are free to city of Orange residents. Nonresidents may purchase a student card for $5.
Students read at their own pace, wherever they like to read. No book reports are required.
Upon registration students will receive a book bag and a reading log to keep track of how much time they read or someone reads to them.
There is still time to sign up. Registration is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. until July 18.
For more information contact OPL at 883-1086.
The Bridge City Public Library, in conjunction with the Friends of the Bridge City Public Library and the Texas State Library’s Reading Club are offering their Summer Reading Program on Wednesday morning, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., for Pre-K through fifth grade.
• Terry Pfeffer and Agnes in Training your dog
• Clint Caywood with Texas Wildlife
• Krissy Vogel with the Gulf Coast Museum on Gulf Coast pirates
• Elyse Thibodeaux with Tiger Rocks martial arts
• There will be an awards ceremony on July 25 for the Bridge City Strutters. Sponsors are Gulf Credit Union, Cathy Wolford, Sue Lane, Holly Hebert and Stephine Adams
Reading logs must be turned in by July 18.
Preschool children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the program.
For more information, call 735-4242 or go to www.bridgecitypubliclibrary.com.