BC students of the month named for November
The Bridge City Chamber of Commerce announced the Students of the Month for November at their Monthly Networking Coffee Nov. 11, at Bridge City Animal Hospital.
Rikki Bodin was chosen as the Bridge City High School Student of the Month and Thanh Tsan was chosen as the Orangefield High School Student of the Month.
Bridge City High School Student of the Month, Rikki Bodin is the daughter of Eric and Karen Bodin. Rikki is ranked 22 of 178 with a GPA of 4.16. Rikki’s awards and honors include:
- Presidential Honor Roll – All four years
- State Solo and Ensemble for Cardinal Singers – 9th & 11th grades
- Rotary Club Award
- Algebra II Award
- Outstanding Female in Principles of Human Services Award
- Girls Powerlifting Regional Qualifier –9th thru 11th grades
- Scholastic All District Award for Athletics and Academics – 9th thru 11th grades
Rikki’s clubs and organizations:
- Cardinal Singers – four year member
- Girls Varsity Powerlifting team – four year member
- Ready, Set, Teach Program – two year Member/Current Financial Secretary
- Spanish Club – two year member
- National Honor Society – two year member
- St. Henry Catholic Church – Active Member of Youth Group and Leadership Team
Rikki’s community service includes:
- Served at the Hospitality Center in Port Arthur with St. Henry Youth Group
- Substitute Teacher for Religious Education Classes at St. Henry Catholic Church
- Assisted with Gather the Children at St. Henry Catholic Church
- Assisted with Vacation Bible School at St. Henry Catholic Church
The Career and Technology Department of Bridge City High School chose Rikki as Student of the Month because “Rikki is a wonderful student and role model. Mrs. Conner and Mrs. Huff have had the pleasure of teaching Rikki and having her as a member of the Texas Association of Future Educators. Arron Conner says “Rikki is always positive, caring, attentive and helpful in and out of the class. She always strives to do and be her best. It has been a complete joy having Rikki for two consecutive years in class and I really look forward to seeing where life takes her after graduation.”
In Ready, Set, Teach and Lifetime Nutrition, Mrs. Huff describes Rikki as “An all-around star student and person. I am lucky to have Rikki in two classes this year. She is such a hard worker and super sweet person.
Rikki plans to attend college and get a degree in Elementary Education.
Orangefield High School Student of the Month, Thanh Tsan, is the daughter of Kim Nguyen and Sam Tsan. She is ranked 6th out of 136 with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Thanh’s clubs and organizations include:
- Art Club, president
- Student Council, president
- Library Club
- Cheerleader, grade 10
- TAFE, student council representative and historian
- National Honor Society, vice president
- UIL Computer Applications – 1st in district, 3rd in regionals, 5th in state
- UIL Spelling and Vocabulary – 4th in district 2 years, and regional qualifier 2 years
Thanh’s awards and honors:
- Houston Rodeo Art Contest, Best in Show last year
- Law Day art, 3rd place last year
- Cheer Hawaii USA nominee grade 10
- Class Officer, parliamentarian this year
- Bluebonnet Girls’ State
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards
- Student Body President this year
In community service, Thanh has volunteered at Shangri La, the Granger Chevrolet 5K, Orange Lions Club Carnival and many other jobs at school.
Sherry Windham, art teacher, says, “Is there a more perfect student than Thanh? I have had the pleasure of teaching her four years, and she easily juggles her duties as president of multiple clubs and managing to create award-winning pieces of art in numerous contests. She walks into class with a smile, helps others with their work, compliments their efforts, and invariably wins first place in each contest she enters.”
Misty Bellard, UIL sponsor and technology teacher, says, “Smart, kindhearted, ambitious, and trustworthy are a few words I would use to describe Thanh. She has the kind of positive attitude and determination all teachers seek in their students. Her attitude is contagious. As Thanh’s UIL computer applications sponsor, it will be my honor to take her to the State meet two years in a row.”
Jennifer Rumsey, English 3 teacher, says, “Thanh was a pleasure to teach in my AP English class, and she excelled in the many challenging writing assignments that she completed. She is a natural leader and a very kind person; she is the type of young lady that helps her peers who are in need with a smile or a kind word.”
Thanh’s plans to attend Lamar University and major in a specialized engineering field. After graduating and working, she hopes to return to college to get a second degree in a medical field or theology.
Both students of the month received gift certificates and gifts from: The Classy Peacock, Walmart, Wellspring Credit Union, Tiger Rock Martial Arts, Central Office Supply, Sabine Federal Credit Union, Geaux Mail, Michele Michelle Day Spa, and Little Caesars Bridge City.