NWS predicting brutal cold, offers safety tips
The National Weather Service in Lake Charles is forecasting a cold week of temperatures, but no precipitation.
Monday’s lows will be 30 to 35 in most locations. Wednesday morning’s lows will be 32 to 40. Thursday morning will be the coldest with temperatures 20 to 25. Friday morning will be between 25 and 32 in most areas.
With cold temperatures, it is important to remember home heating safety tips.
• Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from heating equipment such as a furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or space heater.
• Never use the oven to warm a room.
• Use the proper fuel designed for your fuel-burning space heater.
• Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to bed.
• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
• Test smoke alarms at least once a month.