Orangefield ISD announces free and reduced-price meals policy
David Ball – For The Record
Orangefield ISD announced its policy for providing free and reduced-price meals for children served under the attached current income eligibility guidelines. Each school/site or the central office has a copy of the policy, which may be reviewed by anyone on request.
Starting on August 24, 2015, OISD will begin distributing letters to households of the children in the district about eligibility benefits and any actions households need to take to apply for these benefits. Applications also are available at the student’s campus, or on the district website www.orangefield.net or the child nutrition office at 7696 Sandbar Road, Orange, TX.
Criteria for free and reduced-price meal benefits
The following criteria will be used to determine a child’s eligibility for free or reduced-price meal benefits:
1. Household income that is at or below the income eligibility levels
Categorical or Automatic Eligibility
2. Household receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
3. Child’s status as a foster child, homeless, runaway, migrant, or displaced by a declared disaster
4. Child’s enrollment in Head Start or Even Start
For those households that qualify for free or reduced-price meals based on income, and adult in the household must fill out free and reduced-price meal application and return it to their child’s campus principal or secretary. Those individuals filling out the application will need to provide the following information:
1. Names of all household members
2. Amount, frequency, and source of current income for each household member
3. Last four digits of the Social Security number of the adult household member who signs the application or, if the adult does not have a Social Security number, check the box for “No Social Security number”
4. Signature of an adult household member attesting that the information provided is correct
Categorical or Program Eligibility
Orangefield ISD is working with local agencies to identify all children who are categorically and program eligible. OISD will notify the households of these children that they do not need to complete an application. Any household that does not receive a letter and feels it should have should contact Brian Ousley, director, 409-735-2285, or email@example.com.