Many Texas residents affected by the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding from March 7-March 29, may have registered for assistance with state or volunteer agencies. State and federal recovery officials want survivors to know this is not the same as registering for federal disaster aid with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

While FEMA, the Texas Division of Emergency Management and volunteer agencies often work together, their missions, programs and funding are not the same.

The disaster declaration on March 19, put in place several sources of federal funding for survivors in 13 counties. Homeowners, renters and businesses in Erath, Gregg, Harrison, Henderson, Hood, Jasper, Limestone, Marion, Newton, Orange, Parker, Shelby and Tyler counties must register with FEMA to start the process to be considered for federal assistance.

Apply for assistance online at or by phone at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

For more information on Texas recovery, visit the disaster web page at, Twitter at and the Texas Division of Emergency Management website, Visit for publications and reference material on rebuilding and repairing safer and stronger.

About The Record Newspapers