Before I could even say “Hello”, Jason Leger was blurting out an 

invitation in the form of a question.“When was the last time you caught 

a bunch of fish,” he asked. My answer obviously surprised him.“Two weeks ago,” I replied.“We just hammered the crappie on Lake Tyler.”Unimpressed, he responded, “Crappie  don’t count….I’m talking about bass!” The north wind was blowing 17 mph at the time of his call, it had rained most of the night and from a distance it appeared that the mercury on my  Pepsi outdoor thermometer was still frozen at the 36 degree mark.  “O.K.,” I responded.“Spin your tale, but I am not driving to your place  to freeze my rear off today.” “Ever since the lake hit the 172 mark I have been catching bass like  they were bream stacked around my dock and the weather hasn’t 

mattered.Even the time of day doesn’t seem to slow the bite too much.I 

don’t know if it is because they are generating or what, but this is 

like magic.” Two days later it was 58 degrees and as instructed, I headed up to 

T-Bend for a shot at non-stop bass catching.I have been fishing far too 

long to expect anything of the sort, but I hadn’t visited with Jason in 

a long time and he would keep me laughing if nothing else. “All you need to bring is rain gear to keep you from whining about the  cold wind and a spinning rig loaded up with 10-pound mono or  fluorocarbon.Don’t come up here with braided line on your reel and a  half dozen spicy boudin balls would be nice!” “I know you’d rather jig a spoon than drop shot he mumbled through a mouth full of Danny’s boudin, but the drop shot is the ticket here.He  zeroed the troll motor in on a waypoint marking 26 feet and lowered a nose-hooked Centipede over the side. “You better hurry up or you will be one bass behind before I finish this last ball.” He was right.Before I could even flip the bail on my reel he jerked a  two pound bass into the boat.“Since you caught all those crappie you  don’t have a reason to save any fish,” he stated having already released the bass. Jason caught nine bass between two and four pounds and I caught five or  six before we reversed our mangled Centipedes.“If I am lucky enough to  get them back, I turn them around and hook the other end,” he 

offered.“If not, I would go through a helluva lot of Centipedes. This user-friendly action was taking place in the middle of the day.We 

fished four different spots in 25 to 30 feet of water and caught no less 

than a dozen bass on each stop.Only one spot served up smaller fish and 

most of those were Kentucky bass.Our largest bass might have weighed 

five pounds, but that was a guess as we kept no fish. I never gave a spoon a try, but I had no reason to experiment.It was indeed crazy how easy the catching was, but I was more excited about the  amount of new growth hydrilla he had located.“I have found pretty big  patches as shallow as three feet deep from Tennessee Bay to Buck Creek,”  stated Leger,” but I am more excited about the 10 to 16-foot stuff.”

I returned home with orders to send him a couple of bottles of 

chartreuse Spike-it dye and as many packages of his favorite color 

Centipede as I could find.I only found six packages, but I think the 

fact that he was dipping the tail made the bigger difference.Once we 

turned a used bait around it didn’t seem to generate as many strikes.

One trip is certainly no reason to encourage others to give drop 

shotting a try, but it could make a huge difference for those fishermen 

that detest jigging a spoon.You will have to do your homework with your 

depth finder as we never fished a spot that didn’t mark fish.

I am also unsure as to why Jason preferred mono over braid for drop 

shotting, but he gave me no reason to question that decision.I, too, am 

a firm believer that a spinning rod works much better for that 

technique.We used seven-foot medium action rods and missed very few strikes.

Even if it doesn’t work for you it will give you an opportunity to 

locate new hydrilla growth and the big bass will stage in that stuff 

very shortly!